Saturday, February 4, 2012

So Nice it's Weird

So the other day I'm sitting at Mcdonald's eating breakfast. I just finished my sandwich, so I got my notebook out and began writing down some ideas for my next book while enjoying my morning cup of coffee. Sitting in the corner a little ways down from me was this pretty mean looking dude. Not a person I'd mess with. This guy was just sitting on his laptop, minding his own business when another guy came in and walked up to him. "Can I ask you about your wi-fi," he said.

Needless to say, I listened in on the conversation. The guy on the laptop clearly wanted to be left alone, and here was this dude interfering with the man's breakfast, asking questions about his wi-fi.
"Is the wi-fi free?"
"How do you connect to it?"
"So I just have to do that?"
"Alright, Thanks."

Finally finished barraging the man with questions, he walked up to me and said, "Hey man, I have a paper to write to," giving me a pat on the shoulder and big smile. Not being a particularly social person myself, I simply nodded and returned the smile with a fake laugh.

Leaving us both alone to go back to our work, I could hear the conversation he was having with the cashiers as he gave his order. "I would like a (insert fancy coffee) with whip cream. And can you put that medium into a large cup and put lots of whip cream in it. I like lots of whip cream."

All I can think throughout this guys entire presence that morning, was how weird this person was. I just wanted him to be quiet and leave everyone alone. That's what most of the people in that Mcdonalds wanted. "Just shut up already."

The next day I passed by that Mcdonalds and I thought about that guy again, and when I did I realized, there is something wrong with us. That was such a lovely and wonderful person, and I wanted him to leave me alone. And for what? So I can have a cup of coffee while I miserably sulked to myself because I had to be at work in an hour. I wish I could be that upbeat and happy, because life most certainly wasn't weighting that guy down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment